Keep us, and your neighbors, in the know.
- News tips
- Community Events
- Become a blogger
- Submit a story
NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) – School officials in New Hanover County have taken action against a student who started rumors earlier this week about violence that was to happen Friday at Eugene Ashley High School.
The New Hanover County Sheriff's Department has also filed charges against the student, according to school officials.
Dylan Greg Merten, 17, is charged with disorderly conduct for disrupting students, according to Sgt. Jerry Brewer. Merten, who admitted to the threats, was arrested Thursday morning.
Assistant Superintendent Dr. Rick Holliday said administrators at Ashley High School started hearing rumors on Monday and began investigating immediately.
According to the sheriff's office, the rumor was that a gunman was going to come in the school Friday and "shoot up the school." The rumor caused several students to fear for their safety and plan not to attend school Friday.
Holliday said the source of the rumors traced back to a current student at the school who apparently "started the rumors as a hoax."
"Ashley administration has applied appropriate disciplinary measures and the Sheriff's Department has filed charges," said Holliday. "The New Hanover County Schools takes all threats against students and staff very seriously. "
Holliday asks that community members contact the school system to verify accurate information before responding to rumors.
Copyright 2012 WECT. All rights reserved.