Keep us, and your neighbors, in the know.
- News tips
- Community Events
- Become a blogger
- Submit a story
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - The cold weather has moved into the area which means cranking up the heat and plugging in the space heater happens more often.
Home Depot in the Myrtle Grove area offered tips to avoid danger in your home.
"A mistake people make is when they over string Christmas lights. They use inadequate drop cords that are not rated for that high amount of energy to be pulled and they connect multiple Christmas light strings together. They connect outlets into other outlets by using splitters and they spark and cause fires," said assistant manager Charles Embler.
Also, Embler mentioned to pay attention to real Christmas trees as they tend to dry out and when a dry tree catches too much heat it can be completely engulfed in flames in a matter of seconds.
Copyright 2012 WECT. All rights reserved.