Keep us, and your neighbors, in the know.
- News tips
- Community Events
- Become a blogger
- Submit a story
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – According to a statement from a spokesperson with the Wilmington Police Department, two people are facing drug charges after officials with the Wilmington Narcotics Unit received neighborhood complaints.
Friday, a detective knocked on the door in the 220 block of Davie Drive, and entered the home when he or she was given permission to search it.
There, detectives reportedly, found 168 grams of marijuana that was packaged for sale, along with four rifles and two handguns.
One of those weapons had previously been reported as stolen in 2009.
Judith K. Balloon, 54, and Darryl Andre Newkirk, 46, have been charged with the following:
• Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon
• Possession of a stolen firearm
• Maintaining a dwelling for drugs
• Possession with intent to sell / deliver marijuana
• Possession of drug paraphernalia
• Possession with intent to sell / deliver a controlled substance within 1,000 feet of a school
• Manufacturing a schedule VI controlled substance (for growing a marijuana plant in the yard)
Additionally, Newkirk has been charged on an outstanding civil contempt warrant for non-payment of child support.
Balloon was released on $100,000 bond, while Newkirk remains in custody.
Newkirk's bond is also set at $100,000, plus another $16,000 for the outstanding warrant.
Copyright 2012 WECT. All rights reserved.
Courtesy of: Intracoastal Realty Corporation
Courtesy of: Intracoastal Realty