WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - It's Black Friday and thousands of people will be out trying to grab the best deals.
The Wilmington Police Department has released the following safety tips for holiday shopping:
Holiday Safety Tips from the Wilmington Police Department
- While shopping, stay alert and be aware of what is going on around you.
- Avoid shopping alone. Try to shop with friends or relatives.
- Park in a well-lit area. Be sure to lock your car, close your windows and hide any shopping bags/gifts in the trunk.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; pay with credit cards or with a check when possible.
- Carry your purse close to your body. Keep your wallet in a front pocket or inside coat pocket.
- Do not carry too many packages at one time. Try to consolidate your packages into one or two bags to create an illusion that you didn't purchase much.
- Try to shop when the shopping malls are less crowded.
- When shopping with children, teach them to go to a store clerk or security guard if you become separated.
- Know your surroundings and keep an eye on the people in front of you and behind you.
- After the holidays, don't leave empty boxes for new electronic items in plain view at the curb.
- Update or create a home inventory list with serial numbers, including videos or photos of all your valuables, in the event that items are stolen.